I would like to propose that the fly-jedi membership comes with a small annual fee.
I am thinking of something bit more than symbolic of around 5-10 euro per JEDI per year.
The purpose of this fee is twofold:
1. pay for the website associated costs
2. have a bit more control on the list of JEDI
3. create a small jedi fund
The amount of money that will go for the website is no much. At the moment the expenses are
- $60 (una tantum) for the basic version of the website theme prior to customization (parallelus salutation)
- $12 per year for the domain name (I paid six years so far 2011-2016)
- $120 per year for the website hosting (www.site5.com)
- ~$10 per year for daily backup of the website contents on offsite servers (amazon S3 and glacier)
This amounts to roughly 100 euro per year divided by 150 of US.
The other advantage of having a fee is that it will give each one of us the chance and duty to renew our status, doing some self assessment on our J, E, D & (ouch) I status. I believe this is needed and will solve some current and/or potential future issues.
Finally, Re: 3. It would be good to have a small amount on the side that can be used for things like wild parties involving lapdance and vodka-dispensing-quadcopters at the next JEDI meeting or, more boringly, jedi t-shirts, prizes, advertising, EDRC sponsoring, whatever.
You can express your opinion on the matter on the poll below. Be aware that as of now, running costs of the website are less than 1 Euro per person so it's really matter of how much money we should have on the side for future activities. (You need to login to vote)